Just a few simple rules:
- We meet four times a year on the 2nd Wednesday of the 1st month of the quarter in January, April, July, and October.
- We each donate $100 per meeting ($400 per year, just over $1 a day). Please feel free to attend any meeting as a guest to check it out and decide if you’d like to join. If, while you’re at the meeting, you’d like to donate to the selected charity or join up, that is awesome!
- If you are unable to attend any given meeting during the year, please give your check to a member to vote and deliver on your behalf, or feel free to mail it afterward.
- All donations will be given to charities/non-profits/worthy causes serving the Silicon Valley area. National charities will not be considered, however, local branches of national charities are eligible for consideration. The purpose is for 100% of the contribution to stay in the Silicon Valley Area.
- Only official local charities/non-profits (501c3) will be considered unless there is a local worthy cause that has been researched. If there is a worthy cause, the money will be handled by a bank, with a trustee administering the fund to issue checks after receiving receipts.
- Only three charities/non-profits/worthy causes will be selected by random drawing to present at each meeting. The charities/non-profits/worthy causes not selected will be put back in the drawing for the next meeting, if the members who entered them want them to be included. If there is an immediate emergency need at the time of the meeting, that need can be presented as one of the choices. If a charity’s name is drawn at three different meetings and no one is present at the meetings to speak about the charity, the name is removed from consideration.
- Each charity/non-profit/worthy cause that is under consideration will be given 5 minutes to make a presentation at the meeting. This presentation must be made by a member of the 100+ Women Who Care Silicon Valley who may or may not be a member of the charity/non-profit/worthy cause.
- By ballot, the group will vote on which of the three charities/non-profits/worthy causes to donate to, and the majority rules. Even if you don’t care for the choice, you still must donate. (Some people even bring more than one check each meeting and donate to all of the causes that are presented!)
- The charity/non-profit/worthy cause must agree NOT to use the names for future solicitations, nor give the information out to the public. If the charity does not adhere to this condition, they will be removed from any future consideration.
- A year after being selected by the group, charities can re-submit their names for consideration.